Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A quick punch . .

After starting out the day with two Debbie Downer exams it was definetly time to turn the attitude around. Running straight out of my last test I hustled to McComas and decided this was gonna be a Wally Haywood type day.
For those unfamiliar, Wally Haywood is an ultra distance running legend. He holds the world record for the 100 mile on a track, in 12 hours and 47 minutes. Well last night I did some calculations, this means he ran approximately 7.9 miles/hour for 100 miles! Wow. So then I figured out what it would take to run the first sub 12 hour 100 mile run. 8.4 miles/hour for 100 miles or in other terms covering 10 miles every 72 minutes.
I ran up to the gym all excited about checking out what this pace would feel like and the treadmills were full, that just means I got a good stretch in today though. So I hopped on the first free mill and took off, 8.5 mph, wow and it took me a minute or two to even get my stride in pace with the treadmill which maxes out at 10 mph. The first mile was horrible, stride constantly changing, and I felt like I was sprinting. Then the groove hit...and I was fine. I could pinpoint the one moment when I said, "I could get used to this." Well no headphones today but the pace and my endorphins kept me entertained for at least 30 minutes. I asked a girl what her favorite workout song is, she wanted nothing to do with my question. Maybe she thought I was hitting on her, in the gym, as I was running 8.5 mph?? Who knows. Well up came 60 minutes and there I was sitting at 8.5 and I decided I wanted to finish in under 70 so I slowly moved the speed up to 10 where I maxed out and finished in 69 minutes and 40 seconds. Success.

Now, do it for 100 miles.....

Total on the day -

Miles = 10.0
Calories = 1550
Time = 69 mins 47 seconds

No comments:

Post a Comment